Saturday, February 27, 2010

G is for Grand-papa

Grand-papa is my grandfather. Me and my grand-papa are really close and he spoils me a lot, because I was his first grandchild. He is still only sixty years old, young and active as always. He works out nearly every day and he can do 150 push-ups and swim 60 laps! I am very proud of him for that. He is my hero.

When he was a young boy, he used to travel a lot and he lived in different countries. He always told me stories about his travels, but then he just decided that he would take me places instead. He has taken me to Disney about 5 or 6 times, Jamaica, London, Paris, Florence and Venice and he is planning something else soon.

My family always jokes around that the day I was born, the universe changed, and that the minute he saw me, his heart melted into a pile of goo. He means so much to me and I mean so much to him too.

I go visit him and my grand-maman in Toronto almost every other weekend. We do so much like shopping, going to concerts, playing tennis, watching a soccer game, and just relaxing and watching movies. Since I was a little girl, I've always had to sit next to him at meals. Even now, if I don't, I have a fit...... hehehe don't tell anyone! Whenever we talk on the phone, or we say bye after a visit, he always asks me "A qui la fille?" which means "Whose little girl?" and I always reply "A grand-papa" which means "Grandpa's" in french. That's another little tradition we've had since I was little.

Sometimes, my grand-papa can get a little picky. Once, at the dinner table, we were talking about changing a baby's poopy diaper, and he was just like "Excuse me" and left! Or once, when my mom was younger, she said "Oh! These noodles look like worms!" and my grand-papa didn't eat the noodles! Picky right? But it doesn't matter, we just laugh.

My grand-papa is a business man and he is good at it, too. He makes a lot of money and always said he would give it to me when I was older, but I never wanted it. He sold it just recently and he's taking a year's break just to relax with us and my grand-maman. We don't know if he's going to start again or not.

My grand-papa also paid for this school, because since my mom's on maternity leave, we are kind of short on money. We don't mind too much. But I thank my grand-papa for letting me come here because it's the best change I've ever had. 

I love you, grand-papa, and whatever age I am, I will always be your little girl.

Life Lesson: Love your grand-papa/grandpa/grandfather/poppa/pops/papa or whatever it may be.

No comments:

Post a Comment