Sunday, March 28, 2010

K is for Keyboard

I know you probably think I'm talking about a computer keyboard, but you will be surprised that I'm actually talking about one of my passions: the piano.

When I was only three years old, my mom really wanted me to start playing piano. I think the main reason she wanted me to start was because her and my dad are not musical whatsoever, so she made sure that someone in the family was musical. She brought me in to see this lady, called Leslie Wyber who founded the Guelph School of Music (GSM). When my mom first approached her, Leslie was apprehensive taking on a three year old. After our first trial, Leslie was taken by me and my love for music.

After seven years of taking piano lessons with Leslie, I was pretty darn good for my age. One day, Leslie told my mom that she was going back to university to get her teacher's qualifications so she could become a teacher. At first, when I heard the news, I told my mom that I wanted to quit because no one was as good as Leslie. Boy was I wrong. Leslie recommended a nice Russian/English teacher with the name of Leila Simpson, so we decided to try her out. Her different personality, gentleness and different techniques make her an amazing teacher as well.
"Please welcome pianist, Emilie Renaud!" My favourite part about piano, is PERFORMING! GSM is pleased to welcome all musicians and parents who are in the GSM family to come and enjoy a few recitals during the year. We have a magical Christmas recital and a fun spring recital. I love having the spotlight on me and play in front of an audience. It's fun working super hard for that one day for one little minute and feeling my fingers move, as practiced, with many people enjoying the music I am making! It's truly a wonderful feeling. The spotlight shines on me again at the Kiwanis Festival in April. This one is actually competitive with adjudicators who judge the class, give us a mark and provide comments on our performance. On one hand, it's sort of nerve-racking but on the other hand, it's thrilling to compete. I love the competing part because I am a natural competitor.

My least favourite thing about piano is the practicing. I have to practice 30 minutes every other day! I also have trouble practicing properly. I get lazy and I don't practice the way I was taught to practice. When my mom and I argued over how to practice, I could have been practicing properly. I regret not listening to my mom at times because I could have learned how to practice the easy way, but instead I decided to learn the hard way. I also discovered that shortcuts in piano end up taking you down the wrong path.

I love playing the piano. Even though my dream isn't to become a pianist, I hope that I will continue playing for the fun of it.

Life Lesson: I'm slowly learning that persistence pays off in the end.

I commented on Hayley's blog.

1 comment:

  1. it's so cool that you play the piano! I used to play the piano too, but like figure skating I quit. I know how hard it is to find something to do that you truly enjoy, and then once you do find something it is even harder to stick with it. You are a much more determined person than I am. I think that it is great that you love playing in the spotlight. You should think about playing your favourite song at the COOL conferences. What is your favourite song anyway? Great post Emilie!!!

    ReplyDelete